Friday, April 12, 2013

THE RESULTS ARE NOT IN


I had my long-awaited appointment with Dr. Ross today to discuss my low hormone levels. He consulted with other doctors and decided he needed to run more tests. There is a possibility I have gone into early menopause. There is a possibility my pituitary gland is not working, therefore creating problems with my adrenal and thyroid function.

There is also the possibility that these problems have been caused by all the medicine and supplements I was on. Which means there is the possibility that a few weeks from now my pituitary gland will start to work as it should.

I have now cut out almost everything I was taking, with the exception of anti-yeast supplements (Candex), probiotics, the anti-inflammatory quercetin, and my adrenal/cortisol supplement (isocort). This last I have cut in half.

This week I put more pills back in bottles than I took out!
I stopped using my two biggest pill boxes, and later in the week I eliminated one more box. Plus, no injections, powders, drops or liquid medicines!


I wish I could say stopping everything else as of a week ago made me instantly feel better. It has not. It has, however, given me more time and way, way less hassle throughout the day. I am still dealing with quite a bit of fatigue. Not the crippling fatigue that had me in bed for years, but my legs feel heavy and my brain lethargic. I'm still going dancing and for long walks, as usual. I run sometimes, but for two miles instead of the four I used to do regularly. I concentrate in spurts, but I'm not exactly in the zone for writing these days, either.

And it's all OK, given there are still issues to work out and still things the tests are picking up.

Dr. Ross also told me today I also have high viral markers: CMV, EBV and HHR6. This in itself could cause the fatigue.

But the hormonal mystery comes first. I need to deal with viruses from a place of strength. I will wait a few weeks to give my body a chance to recalibrate after all the medicine, and then I'll get the tests for my pituitary, thyroid, adrenals, and cholesterol.

Thankfully, I'm still sleeping plenty these days, and now it's time to go to bed.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Hi Naomi,

I'm enjoying your posts, and wish you all the best in your recovery. You are in good hands with Dr. Ross! I follow his website, and participate in his webinars. He is so knowledgeable.

Paula

greeneoisie said...

Dear Paula:

Many thanks for your well wishes. I agree, Dr. Ross is a good doctor. I just recently saw he has the webinars, but haven't had a chance to participate. Good for you for doing that! I hope you recover quickly from Lyme, too!

Best,

Naomi