Tuesday, August 16, 2011

THIS IS WHERE I GOT BITTEN BY A TICK









Pretty, isn't it? This what you see from the porch of my parents' weekend house. I was bitten here in March of 2000, and in all likelihood once before then, probably when I was teenager. I haven't been back since I moved to Seattle in 2004, both because once I was in Seattle I began to suspect I had Lyme disease, and because I have terrible, kill-me-now allergies when I am inside the house, which is built on top of a cache of mold of WMD proportions.

With hindsight, I know it wasn't just the tick bite that brought on all my health problems. Although I undoubtedly had Lyme disease, it took going to Mexico, where I got parasites and exposed myself to tons of pollution, to set it off. I also now know I have a congenitally weak liver (see my posts under the label "Shoemaker protocol" for more on that), which I'm sure contributed to the downturn.


Still, I've avoided the place until last Friday, when loneliness got the better of me. My entire family, minus me, goes here at least a few times a year for the 4th of July, etc. My parents go every weekend, and in the summer my brother and his family usually join them. And last week, after two weeks of living like a hermit, I decided I just had to go so I could be with my family-- mom, dad, bro, sister-in-law, neice and three-month-old nephew. It was just this overwhelming desire to be part of things. I decided it was worth the risk to go for the afternoon. I stayed in or right next to the pool, where it's paved, always wore my shoes when I cross the grass to the house, and no, I didn't get a tick bite. I also had a lot of fun.

I think it's worth a repeat. Today I will also order Daminix, something I've been meaning to do
for a long time, because it reduces the risk of anyone there getting exposed to Lyme, and although my family seem oblivious to it, I don't want them to be running that risk either.

So here's what happened when my two and a half year-old niece, Maggie, painted her toes (nail polish compliments of the other grandmother!)








No comments: