Friday, May 15, 2009

ON PLAQUENIL

When I started this blog I resolved not to write when I was down. There are plenty enough cries of anguish on the internet when it comes to chronic illness, and I’m not sure it does anybody any good, particularly not the readers.

Suffice it to say, things have been a little crazy around here for the past few weeks, and not in a good way. Since I've added Plaquenil to my mix of anti-Lyme drugs, I have despaired. Not because I am feeling worse physically-- not at all. This drug messes with my brain, and I find myself swinging wildly between the bleakest thoughts and a buoyant sense of progress toward a bright future, and back again to feeling my life is nothing but useless suffering.

I am figuring out how best to ride this out. In the past I have relied on patience and attitude to deal with fatigue, insomnia, and any number of physical sufferings. The problem with Plaquenil is it takes away my good attitude and my patience. So far, all the usual naturopathic and homeopathic tricks have made little headway. I took Plaquenil before, about a year and a half ago, and Carolyn Humphreys did something magical to calm down my system. I have not been able to replicate it at home.

I’m starting to think the way through the next little bit is beyond the bounds of things I’ve considered before. I have a few ideas I’d like to try and if any of them work I will blast it loud and clear.

Meanwhile, despite not having had nearly enough sleep, I have a strong desire to make some gingerbread, so I’m off.


*******



MARVELOUS MELLIFLUOUS MOLASSES GINGER BREAD (not for the faint of heart)


1.5 cups flour (I use brown rice or millet flour plus a teaspoon Xanthan gum, but your favorite whole grain flour will do)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon (or more!) ground cardamon

1/4 teaspoon ground clove

1 stick butter (coconut oil can be substituted)

1 large egg

3/4 cup molasses and honey mixed

2-3 Tablespoons fresh ginger, minced or shredded

Bake in a buttered bread pan at 370 for 25 to 35 minutes
Let cool before turning out of pan onto a cooling rack

Today I added 1 teaspoon ground coriander and used mostly molasses so the bread came out very dark and spicy, just the way I like it. If you want a sweeter, milder bread, cut down on the ginger and molasses and increase the honey.

No comments: